- JH Software
- What's New
- News story
Simple Failover v. 2.0 - Beta version now available
Thursday, 28 November 2013
We are now ready to start beta testing the upcoming version 2.0 of Simple Failover.
We have implemented a lot of new features in v. 2.0 - mostly based on user suggestions, and v. 2 really is a big leap forward from v. 1.x. See the new feature list at http://support.simplefailover.com/KB/a21/new-in-simple-failover-v-20.aspx
Simple Failover v. 2.0 has also been updated to run on current Windows versions - including Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 - also 64 bit.
Quick recap: Simple Failover is a software package, installed on your own computer(s), which continuously monitors your servers (web, mail, ftp, or any other type of server connected to the network), notifies you of any problems, and (optionally) updates your DNS records so that your domain name always points to a functional server.
Simple Failover v. 2.0 screen shot:
If you are interested in getting a head start with v. 2.0 - and perhaps in helping us polish up the rough edges - please e-mail us a request to join the beta test at: support at simplefailover.com
There are no special requirements, but we hope that you will report back to us if you encounter any issues and/or if you come up with ideas for further improvements.
Important notes about this beta version:
- This is a â€œbetaâ€ version â€“ it may not be ready for production use yet.
- The beta is time limited and expires after a period of about 3 months. We will however release updated betas (with extended time) or a final release before that happens.
- Simple Failover v. 2.0 requires Windows Vista / Server 2008 or later. So if you are already running Simple Failover v. 1.x, you will not be able to run the v. 2.0 beta on the same Windows installation since v. 1.x requires Windows XP / Server 2003 or earlier.
- Simple Failover v. 2.0 uses a new configuration file format and therefore cannot use v. 1.x configuration files directly. However, a tool is included to convert v. 1.x configuration files to v. 2.0.
- This first beta version does NOT include an HTTP API â€“ so it can only be configured through the GUI or by updating the configuration file and restarting. There will be an HTTP API included with an upcoming beta / the final release, however this will be REST based and will not be compatible with the HTTP API from earlier versions.
- A few v. 1.x features have been retired - see http://support.simplefailover.com/KB/a20/retired-features-breaking-changes-simple-failover-v-20.aspx
Be the first to comment on this page: